With over twenty-five years experience as a psychologist Dr. Judith S. Beck, with Deborah Beck Busis, LCSW, has developed a cognitive behavior-based program to teach dieters how to think and eat like a thin person.
Most people struggle with losing weight and keeping it off because no one ever taught them how. It’s not just a matter of willpower and a healthy eating plan. To be successful, you have to learn a set of cognitive (thinking) and behavioral skills. Other weight-loss programs assume that dieters know how to keep themselves from cheating. Dr. Beck respects that dieters are human; she expects mistakes and her unique program teach dieters exactly what to do immediately following mistakes, and how to solve problems and prevent mistakes in the future.
By following the Cognitive Therapy techniques dieters learn to:
- think differently and overcome common dieting pitfalls and sabotaging thoughts
- eat favorite foods while steadily losing weight
- feel in control in the most challenging situations
- feel confident in their ability to follow a healthy diet and exercise plan
- remain motivated to maintain weight loss for life
In addition, Dr. Beck has developed easy-to-use tools, including hunger monitoring scales, daily planning schedules, weight loss graphs, and motivational cards for handling time/energy hurdles, eating out, and other high-risk situations.